CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Why Parents Should Make Children's Products

Dear Costume Manufacturers:



Halloween, if you haven't noticed, is on October 31. The last day of October. The day before it's November. That time of year sorta kinda between fall and winter when, in most parts of the country, it's getting downright cold, especially at night.



I've lucked out the past few years. My kids have chosen Halloween costumes that are plush and warm and cozy--dinosaurs and cats and things like that. Costumes that are meant to be worn overtop of regular clothes.



This year, though, my four-year-old wants to be Tinkerbell. And do you remember what you offer as a Tinkerbell costume?



This:
















Very cute. Especially with the wig--nice touch.


However.


It's just *this side* of a summer nightgown. Bare arms. Deep V-neck. Short little very poufy skirt. I'll give you that tights look lovely with it, but do you see what I'm seeing?

Completely. Totally. Inappropriate for wandering the neighborhood for several hours at night the day before November. Freezing cold and virus-welcoming and way tear-inducing. And not at all conducive to wearing something long-sleeved underneath.

I hate to be harsh. But are you completely stupid? Do you not know that children are outside on Halloween night? For hours? And that they hate doctoring store-bought costumes with long sleeves or pants or anything else that someone might see? Are you trying to make my life hell?


I've been to every costume site I can think of. Paged through what feels like thousands of catalogues. I've had an Ebay search running literally for months. And this is as good as it gets. So here I sit, totally devoid of any talent or inclination in the sewing and fabric department, pondering exactly how I'm going to make a Tinkerbell costume that will both thrill my little princess-in-waiting and keep her somewhat reasonably warm while she flaunts through the neighborhood ringing doorbells and begging for candy.


Do me a favor. Hire a mom. Hire a mom to peruse your costume offerings about a year ahead of time and show you where things are lacking. It's not that big a deal to put sleeves on a dress, is it? Ditch the CEO for this one little thing and please, for the love of all that's holy, hire someone with small children.


I'm begging you.


Love,

A Mom

2 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

Or, you can come here and do trick or treating here with us! It gets cold at night, but the last few halloweens, it was nice out. :) Kidding!

That costume is sure cute, though.

Ali said...

I'd hire you if I were them in a heartbeat =)

Last year we had a warm one so hopefully it will be the same. I couldn't get my cutie into his Lion costumer to save my life. He's going to be one of those kids who picks up a tree branch and says he's a tree.