CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Recipes

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

The stovetop mac n cheese recipe is here. I left out the mustard and the salt but left in the hot sauce, and you really can't taste it per se. I also used regular lowfat milk instead of the canned ick, and I substituted monterey jack for half the cheddar. The kids gobbled it up. Don't try this with lowfat cheese, by the way. BTDT. It gets grainy. This freezes beautifully.


For the french toast sticks, I used my bread machine to make a loaf of wheat bread--you'd have to get a recipe that'll fit your machine. I let that cool overnight, cut the crust off totally, and sliced it into sticks, about 2 x 2 x 4 inches.

Then I made a simple custard (whisk together three eggs, about a quarter-cup of milk, a half-teaspoon of vanilla, and a half-teaspoon of cinnamon).  Heated the pan on medium with a little butter and a little olive oil spray. Dipped the sticks in the custard and cooked them on all sides until golden brown. Let them cool totally on a wire rack and popped them in a freezer bag and into the deep chill. We reheated them in the microwave.

I know these aren't lowfat. But you'll notice the absence of sugar, and you'll also notice that there are no preservatives and very little sodium in these foods. Nothing processed. Which, right now, is my focus. Kids can handle a little fat, but the chemicals and crap scare me to pieces.

I also discovered that Trader Joe's sells fish sticks that meet these requirements, which is totally awesome because I hate breading fish. :)




2 comments:

Renfield said...

I made that mac n cheese per the recipe yesterday (minus the mustard because I didn't have any). To me it was kind of bland. I see you've doctored it - does the Moneterey give it any more flavor? I'm wondering if I should up the pepper and hot sauce...

I also tried your chicken strips - keep posting recipes! =)

Mary said...

Thank you thank you for posting these! I want to make the french toast sticks to freeze for Tom and the kids, and that mac sounds yummy!