CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rockin Out with the Natural Thing

This label-reading business...it's not for the faint of heart. Once you start reading labels for high-frutcose corn syrup (I still can't spell it), you start seeing other things. Like sodium, fat, and all kinds of wacky preservatives.


I, um, don't really want my kids eating that crap as a habit. The occasional treat is fine, you know? But day to day? Not so much.

Today, DH took the kids to the ILs house and I spent the last hour or so cooking kid-food to stock my freezer with. Baked chicken tenders were first, followed by a loaf of white-wheat bread. That's going to be sliced up thick and made into the French toast sticks DH loves so much. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to make a big batch of mac n cheese to cut into portions and freeze, and some pizza crusts--I finally found a recipe for a wheat pizza crust that is absolutely to die for, and pretty darned healthy!

Anybody have other good freezable kid foods that I can make? Recipes? Ideas?

I'll share the chicken.

I put into a Ziploc bag about a cup of Italian bread crumbs and a cup of grated Parmesan.

I then lightly stirred together two eggs and put them in a bowl, and put about a cup of wheat flour in another bowl.

Then I cut about a pound of chicken  boobs into tenders.

The chicken pieces got dipped into the egg, then the flour, then the egg again, and then tossed with the bread crumb/cheese mixture. They got put on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil, and then their tops got sprayed. They went into a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes.

As Alton says...golden brown and delicious!


1 comments:

Ali said...

You are doing AWESOME! You've learned and implemented sooo much in such a short period of time. Great job =)