CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

The Chaos That Is My Life

Didja ever have one of those days where finding a place to even start talking about it was overwhelming?


Yeah.

We'll start with the good stuff: vacation rocked. Despite semi-crappy weather, we all had a blast at the lake. The kids learned to kayak and water tube (under strict supervision...no need to get all custody-battle with me) and I had a great time tubing myself. DH enjoyed his new/old boat, we all got a little sun, and nobody came home in a box. Which is always a plus for a family vacation. 

When we got home, DS had a super surprise waiting for him in the mail. Earlier this spring, I wrote to several famous astronauts and asked them for autographs for DS's birthday. Silence ensued. But this week, a package arrived. From John Glenn. With a photograph of him in his orange NASA flightsuit, and "To Joseph. Best Regards, John Glenn" written on it in Sharpie. Coolest. Thing. Ever.  DS hasn't stopped smiling. We framed it this morning and it's on display in our living room for now. John Glenn, you ROCK. :)

So we're puttering along nicely post-vacation. Came home to a disaster-free house, which is a huge bonus--we normally come back to a mess of some sort. DH took the kids to his parents' yesterday and then to his sister's for a cookout while I stayed here and cleaned and shoveled crap out. Gotta get ready in case we decide to put the house on the market.

Mid-day, he calls. Upset. FIL, who is 77, was backing up his car, hit the gas instead of the brake, and smashed both his car and SIL's car to bits. Nobody got hurt, thank God, but this is the second time this has happened in about three months. MIL stormed in the house and refused to talk about it the rest of the day. FIL just sat there. 

Ugh.

It's been ugly around here, but the long and short of it is that he needs to stop driving, and it's going to be WWIII to get there. Ugly, ugly, ugly. I've spent the morning investigating senior resources where they live, and there's an emergency sibling meeting later this week to talk about it. I'm also, apparently, getting a BlackBerry so I can work and shuttle them around when necessary, being the closest thing to a SAH person this family has. Lucky me.

The other update is that my daughter, who was thrilled beyond words to get a SuperSoaker for her birthday, is now pissed because she gets wet playing with it.  And my daughter is not attractive when pissed. Her head spins around, she shoots flames from her eyes, speaks in tongues...it's unpleasant.

Nine weeks to school.

Moving right along...




5 comments:

Ali said...

Oh my goodness, I was just going to say to you - 2 months to go friend and we can drink that awesome coffee you brought back from me in my quiet house. =)

Kelly said...

We had to take away FIL's car a few months back. He is in an assisted living place though. BIL went to pick it up for service, so he told FIL, and never took it back. He calls for it every couple of weeks but BIL just ignores him.
I just switched from a Palm Treo to a Blackberry Pearl and I LOVE it!
Awesome about the surprise for ds!

Chelle Y. said...

That is so cool about John Glenn. You're such a nice wife! :)

Sad about the FIL.

Funny about your daughter! :)

Susan's 365 said...

Glad you had such a great time at the lake. Are there certain weeks during the summer that you just don't rent it out so that you have it to use?

Wow, the autographed photo is awesome. I would be walking around smiling too if I was J and into space as much as he is. WTG Mom!

Sorry to hear about your FIL and the driving thing. We had to do that to my grandmother when she was about 80. It was a tough decision but it had to be done. My Dad is an only child so it all fell on him.

Too funny about M and the Super Soaker.

Amber said...

That is SO COOL that Glen sent that stuff!! Wow. I wonder who else would do that for a kid??

:)