CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sad Commentary

November 2: I go to the mall to run a few errands.

The North Pole has relocated.

It's Christmas already. November 2. Santa's photo studio is set up in the middle. Macy's is decked out in red and green. Hallmark is playing Christmas carols already. Fa la la la la la plbththth!

I try to buy a Thanksgiving decoration. No go. Nobody has 'em. Halloween was two stinkin' days ago, lady, and we're all about the elf and your credit cards. Have a nice day.

This is me, drumming my fingers on my steering wheel in the parking garage, pondering thankfulness and gratitude and sharing, and the two little people in my back seat whose heads are filled with visions of Power Rangers and Barbies under the tree. And who are already mourning the gifts they won't get. Who live in a pretty affluent neighborhood, go to private schools, are surrounded by family and friends, and who already know what they don't have, poor babies. On November 2.

Fine. You want to play it that way? Let's go.

Michael's. Michael's will save me.

We go. Wander the aisles. Christmas, Christmas, Hannukah. Clearance on Halloween!

I ask. "Pardon me. Could you please tell me where I might find a Thanksgiving craft for my kids to work on?

She blinks. "Thanksgiving?"

Um. "Yeah. In three weeks? Maybe a turkey they can put feathers on? Or pilgrims? Or something about giving thanks--a cornucopia, perhaps?"

Shakes her head. "No. We don't really have Thanksgiving things this year. We have Christmas."


*pop*


(that was my head exploding)

3 comments:

Ali said...

Ah.. Thanksgiving really has turned into Turkey day and just serves as an appetizer to Christmas. Bummer!

Fisher Price has a Thanksgiving playset - it's $15. Partner that with a turkey cookie cutter and some sugar cookies and you all have a nice afternoon where you can chat some Thanksgiving!

Chelle Y. said...

I hate that Thanksgiving is always put aside each year, and it keeps getting worse!

Most of the schools here do not even have off for Veteran's Day anymore. VETERAN'S DAY!?! Yes, let's be thankful for all the men and women who gave their lives for our ungrateful country! :) Sad. sad, sad!

I did however manage to get some candles for a Thanksgiving sale two days before Halloween. The next week I went back, no more Thanksgiving candles, but Christmas!

Susan's 365 said...

Oriental Trading is always a good source for crafts...they had a bunch of Thanksgiving stuff in their catalog.

I just wish I could find Hanukkah stuff around here. People look at me funny when I even ask.