CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

Sweet

Much preparation went into the Gala and Auction at DS's Catholic school on Saturday night. We took the kids to my mom's for the night and I spent way (waaaaaaayyy) too much time obsessing over what to wear, what to accessorize with, how to look, and what to say to perfectly-coiffed people who generally intimidate me.

The hour finally came. Feeling like I was going to vomit (I have social issues if you hadn't noticed), I got in the car, wrung my fingers over there, got out of the car, and trudged inside, trying very hard to smile. Ran into a friend on the way in and started to relax. Got a compliment on my outfit and relaxed a bit more by the time I checked my coat.

The gym's walls were lined with tables that were about to collapse under the weight of silent auction items. We grabbed a beer and started perusing, jotting down a bid here or there.

After about 10 minutes, a DJ took the stage. Greeted everyone, welcomed them to the St. X Auction, and hoped everyone would have a great night.

Gimme a beat!

A drum started thumping.

DH looked at me cock-eyed. "Is that..."

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman
I had ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs

I grinned "Yep." Finally relaxed all the way, kept the beat tapping against my leg, and checked out the auctions.

After a few songs, it was clear we were back to 1986. And everyone loved it. Scorpions. Flock of Seagulls. Van Halen.

You can't get romantic on a subway line.
Conductor don't like it,
says you're wastin' your time.
But ev'rybody wants some.
I want some too.
Ev'rybody wants some.

By the end of the night...some five hours later...I'd had a blast. Chatted with people, laughed a ton, enjoyed the company and the atmosphere, watched the school raise a ton of money for a new gym floor. Didn't win anything in the auctions despite my best effort (that $750 credit at the Apple Store really wanted me to have it!), but really had a great night.

Finally, when all was winding down, we got our coats and started saying goodbye. I looked back into the emptying gym in time to see our Irish (as in, from Ireland) custodian leap up onto a table and use his broomstick as a microphone.

Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin world go round

I looked at DH, more than a little beer coursing through our veins (and everyone else's, clearly) and cracked up. "We have GOT to get this guy's number!"

2 comments:

Melly said...

That sounds TOTALLY RAD!

Susan's 365 said...

Rock on! Sounds like a blast.