CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Randomness

MSNBC ran an article yesterday that said owners of the first Prius cars to come off the assembly lines are now being hit with sticker shock b/c they have to replace the batteries--at a cost of about $3,900 a pop. Ta-ta, gas savings. That doesn't even mention the environmental impact of disposing of the massive energy cells that work thanks to several hazardous chemicals. The result of this is that many of those owners are ditching their cars and since nobody will really buy a vehicle that needs that kind of monetary investment with high miles, they're piling up in scrapyards. Nice. I remember writing an article on hybrids years ago and having a leading car expert tell me that they (US hybrids, not the electric/diesel models sold in Europe) were the biggest scam in industry history, and that anyone who thought they were buying something "green" hadn't done their research. Sadly, it looks like he might have been correct. Thank you, massive lobbying powers of the oil companies.



My neighbor locked herself out of the house yesterday--the lock on her storm door is apparently wonky. Her little girls were inside. She, rightfully, called the fire department. DH got home about 10 minutes after they arrived, grabbed his drill and ran down there. Literally just as he raised the drill to the lock on her storm door (which would have been about a $60 repair), we heard glass break. Everyone grimaced. So long, custom-sized basement window and hello $300 Home Depot bill. Ouch. I'm, um, leaving a key with a neighbor today. I also had DH show me how to get a storm door off its hinges from the outside last night. Just in case.



We had such a great weekend at the lake--the best family trip I can remember. Took advantage of lots of fun activities and attractions in the area and soaked up weather that was absolutely perfect. The funny thing is that we'd been talking in earnest about selling that house to buy something to actually live in here. We keep getting priced out of homes we like and neighborhoods we'd consider if only for more cash. But we looked at each other Monday morning and I said, "We can't sell this. Our family needs this." DH agreed. So I guess we're staying in my tiny 1,300 square feet of suburban paradise. It's the right decision.



Rowing machine is still kicking my butt. And my arms, my back, my legs, and my abs. It's a good thing...it's a good thing...it's a good thing...

1 comments:

Tink said...

Well I guess that's what firemen do huh, break windows? It just seems kind of... stupid. Poor neighbor. I think swapping keys is a great idea. Maybe I'll do the same with mine. :)