CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wacky

There was a hearse behind me at the car wash this morning. I don't know why it struck me as really odd--it's not like funeral homes have their own car bays or something. But it creeped me out. I'm having fear-of-death issues lately anyway (hello, mid-life crisis!) and didn't need that thing behind me under the spray. Bleyuck.



We picked a ton of apples yesterday morning. It seemed like a really good idea at the time, but I'm having a bit of picker's remorse. No way are we going to eat all of these before they get nasty. I made an apple cake this afternoon (cuz there's nothing like taking one of nature's healthiest foods, drowning it in sugar, butter, and white flour, and tossing it in the oven, is there?), but have no idea what to do with the rest of these. Apple bread? Is there such a thing? Nobody in my house will eat applesauce, so that's out. Ideas welcome. Really. Barring that, free apples at Kim's house!


We're supposed to go to dinner next week with my family to celebrate my birthday, which was a month ago. Every year, my mom pesters me for ideas. Of course, I have none. So she gives me a check. This year, tho, there's something I really want that I can't justify buying for myself. So I asked her for it. She emailed me. "Thanks for the suggestion." Which, in uber-polite southern belle Mom-speak is, "Yeah, right. I already bought you something I thought you'd like." Hmpf.


My amazing friend Kate was featured by the New York Times recently for her incredible (and successful!) battle against pancreatic cancer. Her story is "More Than A Statistic." I love you, Kate!!


If anybody knows how I can get my "spirited" five-year-old daughter to stop lifting her dresses and shaking her butt at people, I'd appreciate it. *sigh*. We've talked about how nice girls don't do that, how her friend's mommies certainly don't like to see it (yep, she did it to everybody at soccer yesterday). We've punished. We've yelled. She doesn't care. I'm at a loss. I don't know how to explain to her that only skanky vixen ho's act that way...and that if she continues to act that way, she can expect to be treated as one. Honestly, it drove me to tears this morning, right in the middle of Target. I am SO not in charge here.










3 comments:

Susan's 365 said...

Thanks for the link to Kate's story. Continued P&PT's for her.

As for the dress issue...does she have to wear dresses to school or can it be shorts or a skort? Perhaps not "allowing" her to wear dresses might curb her little habit.

Hope your mom got you something great.

Apples...baked apples, apple pancake, apple pie.

Ali said...

I have a few apple ideas:

Make two batches of apple pie filling and put it zipper bags for the freezer. This November in the new house - buy one of those premade crusts and just dump the defrosted deliciousness in... =) Or make up the apple portion of an apple crisp and freeze it. Add topping and bake in the your new kitchen and top with a very delicious ice cream.

I'm also a huge fan of apple spice muffins which you can make more healthy and then freeze for breakfasts. Only fill the muffin paper cups 1/2 way so it's a good kid size muffin for a breakfast treat. My new thing is using some different flours that have more protein in them like almond and garbanzo bean.

Thank you for the Kate update as well.

Lastly, something to consider and I can completely be off base with this but the teacher just coached me on this last week. Attention is attention. So if you are really reacting to this even though it's negative, she may be very pleased at this reaction. The teacher suggested this great book call Magic 1-2-3 and it teaches you how to react and respond without emotion and give them three chances to fix it or be removed from the situation, loss of privilege, or something else. Again - I'm no expert but I can really lose my sh#^ and what she was saying is that he was pleased to get the attention regardless.

*sigh* - I feel your pain and (((hug))) I hope it gets better!

Mary said...

Does she wear shorts/pants under her dresses? If not, force her to until she stops...

clara's never had this problem...she does the "unknowing" flash that some kids do...then gets embarressed when it's pointed out to her what she is doing...