CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Comfort

We all have 'em...those days that leave us whimpering on the couch, wondering just what's next. The ones where just when it seems things couldn't possibly get worse...they do. When brick after brick falls down from the sky and every blasted one whomps us right in the head.

I haven't had one of those days. But between the teeth (mine and DS's), the lack of insurance payment on the teeth (insurance is the devil, I tell you!), the two cars needing way spendy service, the freezer going while we were out of town, the lawnmower dying at the rental house, and a bunch of other piddly crap that just adds up after awhile, it's starting to feel like one of those months.

When this happens, I turn inward. I organize my house so that it's neat and welcoming. I spend time doing things I enjoy--we spent this morning at the zoo because nothing makes me quite as happy as seeing baby pandas and free-range monkeys and sea lions bouncing about and doing their thing, and the kids get free animal crackers, which makes them happy to tag along. I read, compulsively. I listen to music, loudly and unabashedly, sometimes dancing right along no matter if the neighbors behind my house can see through my kitchen windows or not.

And then, there's comfort food. Ice cream is at the very tippy-top of the list as far as I'm concerned. There's a reason my buddies Ben & Jerry are packaged in a very holdable-on-the-couch pint that seems to fit my palm perfectly and be the perfect little respite for my spoon between bites. (are you listening, Edy's? Time to think about the potential of the double-churned lines, my friends)

Mashed potatoes are up there too--I lived on them for two full days after the Dreaded Root Canal, and not just because my gums were sore. Grilled cheese sandwiches, creamy clam chowder with lots of potatoes, lasagne (made by someone else, thank you very much), those yummy Pepperidge Farm mega soft chocolate chip cookies in the white bags, lemon pound cake with powdered sugar glaze. Peanut butter and margarine sandwiches on super-fresh Wonder bread, with old-fashioned rippled potato chips alongside. Frosted Flakes in cold, cold milk.

It's a good thing bad months don't happen much, huh?

Last night, I whipped up a loaf of banana blueberry oatmeal bread. Smelled heavenly and made a dandy breakfast alongside a bowl of fresh cantaloupe. Also made a nice snack this afternoon. Tonight, it's tuna-noodle casserole with extra bread topping and parmesan. (Stop shaking your head--it's a Susan Powter recipe for heaven's sake.) Tomorrow night, I'm going out for sushi. I'm Jonesing for some yummy tuna and salmon wrapped in rice and seaweed paper, maybe with a cup of miso for good measure.

Being home with my family, the WDCL curled up on my bare feet, watching a good movie and paging through a foodie magazine, with something ultra creamy and yummy in a bowl...that's comfort for me.

What's yours?

0 comments: