CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hit by a Bus

I had part 3 of my tooth work done today--the saga that started with an abcess, went to a two-day root canal, and continued this morning with some filing and snipping and cauterizing of my gums (yes, it's gross. No, I'm not making it up) and mold-taking and cementing on of a temporary crown.

I really loathe and despise having my teeth worked on. It's not really that the work is horrible, although it is. But Novocaine (or whatever they're using these days to numb patients) really doesn't sit well with me. The initial shot gets my heart racing and my hands shaking--the root canal guy said it's full of epinephrine and is raising my already-high blood pressure. An hour or so into it, I get all loopy. Not quite drunk loopy, but like 4 a.m. and no bed in sight loopy.

And then several hours later, when it begins to wear off, I crash like a four-year-old full of Pixie Stix. Wham! I can't concentrate. I'm sleepy. I get a headache. I growl at those around me. There's a rumbly in my tumbly, only not the hungry kind. I sweat a lot. And I generally feel like crap until I can sleep.

Today, I'm alone with the kids and DH is out until at least 11 p.m. (my procedure was at 10:30 this morning). So I won't sleep for quite some time. Which means I feel like crap. And my mouth hurts--my jaw from being open so long, my gum from being shredded, and my tongue, for reasons I can't explain.

I stopped at Safeway on the way home from the dentist's office and picked up two new activity books for the kids. They're watching a movie right now and coloring, and I imagine the rest of the day might look just like that. Enter the Mommy Guilt, right? Beautiful summer day--the heat and humidity broke last night and it is absolutely gorgeous outside--and we're watching TV in the house. Very nice.

Anyway, I don't have anything of substance to share today. I hope to be a bit more coherent and sunny tomorrow. Pray that bedtime comes quickly, wouldja? And remind me next time to not try and save a tooth. Yank it and be done. This blows.

1 comments:

Ali said...

So sorry to hear about your latest round. If you need anything, just send an email (see I paid attention when you said mouth still hurts=)

You are a great Mom. A little movie time and activity books sounds like a great way to spend a day. Only 7 more weeks until school starts again so they'll be grateful for these slow relaxing days in September.

Speedy recovery my friend!