CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 18, 2008

No Good Very Bad Day

Hey gang

You know the kids' book about Alexander? And his terrible awful horrible no good very bad day? Welcome to Kim's Thursday.

It started well enough. Kids went to school, I went to the post office to mail a package, and then to Barnes & Noble to pick out more books for a baby library I've been putting together for someone who's pregnant. B&N was having a good sale, I got some nice books for the baby, it started snowing a little bit in a very pretty kind of way...life was good.

I drove home. Hopped out of the car to hear a very loud SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sound. Coming from my tire. My driver's side rear tire. The one I just replaced in September because a piece of metal went through the old one.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but it all went downhill from there and culminated with two very wet, very sloppy, very slippery drives to pick up my kids at school (with the stupid worthless heap of junk donut on my van), which then led to two very grouchy kids, and a very harried dinner/cleanup/bed routine. I hate harried nights.

This morning I woke up very nervous. Two reasons: I have someone coming this morning to look at my house and talk about whether our budget is realistic for the home we hope to buy in the neighborhoods we like. I *loathe* talking money and I'm pretty terrified this person is going to tell me that we're insane to pair our wish list with our checkbook right now. We're fine where we are--don't get me wrong. But now that DH is on board with the whole house thing, my heart really wants a bigger kitchen and a few more closets, and an office that's not in the basement.

Second reason: DS has a scout trip to a ski resort this weekend. That's fine. DH is going with him and I know all the other parents and kids and they're going to have a blast. But DH left very very early this morning to head to the ocean side of the state, and then he'll come back this afternoon, pick up the boy, and head aaaaaalllll the way over to the mountain side of the state. All told, about nine or 10 hours of driving. That last couple with my little boy in the car, snow and ice on the road, and a tired driver. I'm trying to talk them into getting up early tomorrow morning and going to the mountain side then, but no dice so far. This has me way more nervous than the house thing. My hands have actually started to shake typing it out. (I have a basic neurosis about something happening to my kids, and this is really playing up on that.)

So. There we are. Cross your fingers for me that disaster doesn't ensue and that everybody arrives in their beds tonight safe and warm and happy. And house hunting. Although that part's not nearly as important as the others.

0 comments: